Future, a Haitian / American rapper raised in the South, has slowly worked his way up the hip hop royalty ladder. Future started off by releasing semi-successful mix tapes, before joining forces with Epic Records and rapper Rocko’s A1 Recordings. He then decided to start his own label Freebandz in 2012.
Besides his new label, his 2012 album Pluto was what really flung him into the hip hop big leagues, featuring collaborations with Drake, T.I., R.Kelly and Snoop. His second studio album, which was first called Future Hendrix and then changed to Honest, was originally meant for release in 2013, but won’t officially come out until this year.
Future has still managed to keep the hype going, with released single "Karate Chop" featuring Casino, and expected collaborations with artists like Rihanna, Kanye and Diplo.
Photo credit: Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images
- Future is engaged to artist Ciara and they have a baby on the way.
- He was born Nayvadius D. Wilburn but legally changed his name to Nayvadius Cash.
- He’s a second generation member of the Dungeon Family, an Atlanta-based hip hop collective with funk and soul influences.
- Future’s favorite cartoon is Popeye and his favorite cereal is Cap’n Crunch.
- He was shot in the hand when he was a teenager.
- Future has a son with Jessica Smith.
- His family moved to Atlanta when he was seven years old.
- His moniker originally included the word "the" before "future".
- Producer Rico Wade of the Dungeon Family is Future's first cousin.
- His first record deal was with Rocko's A-1 Recordings.