Wasiu has always made an effort to put on for the city of Montreal, but that mission statement has never been more clear than on MTLiens 2. The follow-up to 2015's MTLiens project, MTL2 makes an effort to bring together some of the city's most exciting artists in one place. Homegrown producers like Kaytranada, Tommy Kruise, Thomas White, and High Klassified appear, as do rap acts including Dead Obies and Lou Phelps. Meanwhile song titles like "The Dep" and "Cigarettes & Poutine" nod to the city's culture.
Wasiu explained the goal of the project in greater detail on SoundCloud. Read this thoughts below.
In Montreal, we know who our stars are. They're the producers or beatmakers, and the Franglais/Frenglish/French Rappers. I wanted to bring our spotlight and share it with the rest of the world, so they could be familiar with our scene. A lot of artists they're already familiar with, but they haven't connected the dots together to realize that they're all from the same place.
So I went out and got most of the veterans and pieces whom make the scene what it is. I couldn't get everyone, but I think I got a good 96% of them. Everybody on MTLiens 2 for sure makes any "Best Artists From Montreal" list that any blog may post in the future.
And that's what this all is... Yeah, it's my album- but it's more than just that...
It's an MTL Album. It's MTL United under 1 Roof. This is Piu Piu. This is Artbeat.
1. Sunday Mourning (Prod. by Dead Horse Beats)
2. The Odyssey (Prod. by Da-P)
3. 7D Joint (Prod. by SevDee)
4. The Dep (Prod. By KenLo Cranuques)
5. Daddy Issues (Prod. By WYLN, Dear Lola & Thomas White)
6. Cigarettes & Poutine (Feat. Basics) (Prod. by Giza)
7. BMW (Bus Metro Walk) (Prod. by KenLo Canuques)
8. Artbeat Cypher (Feat. Lou Phelps & KNLO) (Prod. by Dear Lola)
9. Tabula Rasa (Prod. by Kaytranada)
10. MTLien (Prod. By Tommy kruise & Dear Lola)
11. Angry Black Man (Prod. By High Klassified)
12. Loi 101 (Feat. Dead Obies & Larry Kid)