Everything you need to know about the new streaming platform.
The new HBO Max streaming service launched Wednesday after months of anticipation and hype. Here’s everything you’re going to need to know/what you might already be wondering about the exclusive new service if you’re interested in purchasing the new service.
What’s the difference between HBO Max vs. HBO Go and HBO Now?
HBO Max is WarnerMedia’s new streaming service featuring all of its original HBO programmings, and much, much more. The new service launched Wednesday night.
HBO Now is a standalone HBO package launched in 2015 for folks who don’t have cable and can’t access HBO that way. At $15 a month, HBO Now gives subscribers access to all of HBO’s original programming in an on-demand, streaming platform.
HBO Go is the exact same thing as HBO Now except it’s only available to people who buy HBO as part of a cable or satellite package at no extra cost.
Do you get HBO Max if you already have HBO?
This part is a little bit complicated. If you already have HBO, depending on how you already pay to access the premium network, you may qualify for an HBO Max upgrade at no extra cost. You qualify if you pay for HBO through any of these providers:
- AT&T (HBO's parent company) and DirecTV, U-verse, AT&T TV Now, AT&T TV and AT&T wireless users who can add HBO with certain unlimited plans
- Charter and its Spectrum services
- YouTube TV or Google
- Altice USA and its Optimum and Suddenlink services
- Verizon and its Fios services
- Cox Communications
- The NCTC group of independent cable and broadband companies -- that includes WOW!, Atlantic Broadband, RCN, Grande Communications & Wave, MCTV and others. (Check if your pay-TV provider is an NCTC member.)
- Comcast X1 and Flex customers
HBO is still striking deals to provide customers with free upgrades with network providers, so if you don’t see your provider it’s very possible HBO is working on it.
How much is an HBO Max subscription and where can I get it?
The sticker price of the new service is $15 monthly-- Disney Plus is priced at $7 monthly and Netflix’s cheapest tier is $9. The easiest way to sign up is by heading to the website. HBO Max is currently offering a 7-day free trial as well.
The service also announced Wednesday that a cheaper, ad-supported tier will launch early next year.
What devices can I use to stream HBO Max?
You can stream HBO Max on almost any device including your phone, tablet, web or smart TV except two critical streaming devices. Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices do not currently support HBO Max, and it is unclear at this time exactly when this will change.
And lastly, what can I watch?
HBO Max has an extensive catalog, not only will you be able to stream HBO originals like The Sopranos and Insecure, you’ll also be able to stream hit series’ like Friends and The Big Bang Theory. Here are some more catalog highlights:
- The Lord of the Rings and The Matrix trilogies
- A wide selection of DC films (Joker, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Shazam, Aquaman, every recent Batman and Superman movie)
- The Lego movies
- Japanese Studio Ghibil anime films previously unavailable to stream in the U.S. (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro)
- Rick and Morty
- Pretty Little Liars
- Doctor Who
- South Park
- The Office
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
The streaming service also debuted a couple of originals:
- On the Record, which is a Me Too documentary film about industry executive Russell Simmons
- Craftopia, a craft series hosted by Youtubers
- And Legendary, an underground drag ball competition show with featured judge Megan thee Stallion. Check out the spicy trailer below.
Let us know if you plan to be joining this latest streaming service.